backwards trailering

My trailer is a two horse front/straight load. It also has a full back door
like a stock trailer. I would never leave a horse loose in a half door/ rear
door situation.
 Orion is left untied in the trailer and chooses to ride his way.  He rides
100% backwards.  He will turn around when I stop to look out the front as if
to say why are we stopped? But always turns around as we pull forward.  I
never feel him turning or feel him shift.  My husband followed me for years
in his truck to rides and observed Orion's traveling.
 When I take two horses I put Orion in first and stand him sideways in the
front part and have the next horse come in and close the back door. Then
simultaneously the second horse turns and Orion walks up beside him.  At
first to teach the second horse it takes time, but Orion has learned to
stand very still until the second horse is positioned, then he will nudge
him over.  It is really neat to watch.  The times I have trailered both
horses facing the front, Orion always seemed slower to warm up. His right
diagonal was stiff.

To get them out is another issue.  Orion will step out nicely.  The other
horse can come out too, but that is not safe, so we hold the second horse
back with the lead line and mostly we turn him around to back out because he
tends to jump out instead of stepping.  My mare also prefers to back out so
we turn her as well.

I have been able to do this with horses that don't live together.  The
gelding I was speaking about is not a pasture buddy to Orion.

Just a tidbit of information for you guys to mull over..

Joy