Re: Re: Dance Line

Can I just say I did something similair to Tom last year, and can see little
point in either prasing or castigating Howard on his email. He did a dim
thing, his horse obviously suffered by it, fortunatly not to the point of no
return, but I would imagine no one will blame Howard more than Howard will
himself.

I entered my horse in a novice 40 mile ER. Having waited five or ten minutes
at the start with a few other 'sensible' riders waiting for the pack to
disapear I set of. I got tanked with and ended up in front of the pack for
about 12 to 14 miles.I was daft enough to think this was a good idea, my
horse was full of running, bound to win etc. When my crew finally caught me
he was livid as we were on around the 16mph mark, and he was making remarks
about stupid bitches who should learn to ride etc. Normally we aim for 7 to
8mph as my horse is a trotter not a galloper.

At the half way vetting my horse lost all interest in proceeding and we did
the last 20 miles on our own well behind everyone else and had to present
twice at the last vet gate before home as my horses heart rate wouldnt come
down. We finished on 7.85mph and my horse was tired, pissed of with me,  but
not unduly dyhydrated and placed 13 out of , I think 16 starters.

All though this ride was in the UK in mild spring weather there was at least
one other horse on a drip at the end as this ride is notoriosly fast on
excelent going in Sherwood forest  . I think if my horse had been a blood
horse like an Arab the story would have ended differently as I would have
happily let him run till he dropped out of blind ignorance and inexperience.
Fortunatly being a sensible if oversided native pony (hes a 15 hh version of
a welsh mountain pony!) his natural self defense mechanisms kicked in well
before my brain did!

I wrecked my season with this ride as he was far to excitable in CTR's
afterwards, however I am going to attempt another 50 ir 60 ER mid this
season and hopefully will have learnt from the last one as I am sure Howard
has.

Tamara