Re: Interval Training - Darrar

In a message dated 3/23/00 5:58:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< Hi Tom

 Latest news is I'm going to back off training for a few days.  Did a 1 and a
 half hour trail ride Tues and Wed am there was some swelling & heat in his
 left front fetlock.  Trotted him up & he wasn't quite level.  The swelling
 is wind-puff type swelling.  Don't know if this is from the sprints Sun or
 the hard ground Tues or a combo of both.>

That's the "three day rule" at work. Whatever you did three days ago, if it
caused a minor injury, shows up today. What this tells us is that we
introduced the increased workload too much too soon. This could be because of
the work itself, or because of environmental complications--like shoeing or
training surface. What angles and toe lengths does your horse carry?

Also, outline again--very briefly, in numbers, what the toughest work was
prior to three days ago and then, in numbers, what this increased workload
was so that we can compare them side by side. We did too much for the
circumstances--let's figure out how.

> Today (Thurs) the farrier came and checked out the foot - nothing there.>

It's not in the foot. It's in the ankle area. Does this horse change leads
when cantering?

 >Swelling is now minimal and less heat after some anti-inflammatory cream.>

 >Will keep him walking thru to middle of next week and take him to be scanned
 next Fri (couldn't get an appointment before then) so I can make a decision
 about the 90kms ride on 02/04 but I don't feel too positive about it right
 now.  Don't want to jeopardise the ride in UK in May.>

No need to scan as yet. No need to keep walking, either, unless the horse is
lame. I'd keep up daily trotting--long enough to cut a asweat and avoid tying
up. Don't use any anti-inflammatories--we want to see the problem staring us
in the face.

> Definitely no more fast work on this track.>

It could be the track, but we need to look at all the
possibilities--including the increased workload and the shoeing.

>  Have found a hill, a bit short
 but pretty steep but its grass, but it means a trailer ride.  This might
 mean restricting things to one track session & one hill session per week as
 I've got limited time.>

First, we need to determine, as best as possible, the cause. Then we need to
ensure that this current injury is temporary and minor--not something that is
flaring up or that may flare up again. To do that, we need to keep some
exercise pressure on and not try to force it back to "normal" appearance. The
fact that it is in one leg tells us that we have something quite specific
going on--any difference in the size or shape of the feet between the
affected leg and the injurued one? Difference in agnle or toe length?

 >Re ulcers.  Darrar had an ulcer(s) diagnosed last year (thru blood testing)
 and my vet recommended 10 days Maalox (250ml/day).  His coat and appetite
 were much improved after this.>Again, a "cosmetic" solution--attacks the
symptoms, but not the cause. Good that he suggested only ten days--I would
have suggested less. At some point, using an antacid causes increased
production of acid and further destruction of gut lining. You need to heal
the lesions while doing your best to determine and eliminate the cause. Look
to Heidi's recent post for those possibilities.

> I've seen KER advertising something called Neighlox which must be similar
 but probably more expensive, being more horses!

 Hope this isn't too grey for you.........??>

It's all grey. We need to keep polishing until the gold starts to show
through.

 Heather

ti