Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #467

In a message dated 03/22/2000 7:02:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net writes:

<<  why should I take a chance on
 > someone trying to take something away from me that I paid for and worked
 > damn hard to get ?

Drin, you hit the nail right on the head. So many of "these people" seem to
think that if it's "in the country", private property isn't really private,
it's just a state park without the restrictions. Until I put a fence up (it
cost me half a year's pay, but it was worth it) I'd find teenaged punks
riding their damned dirt bikes all over my pastures, total strangers stopping
the car and letting their dogs run free  ("we like to see him stretch his
legs, oh, sorry about your garbage can, why do you leave it where the dogs
can knock it over?"), pick wildflowers to sell for an outrageous profit to
the floral industry, dump their garbage, their unwanted dogs, their cat and
all her kittens, or their junker car. And when I run them off (fervently
wishing I'd thought to bring my shotgun) I get this "what a witch you are, I
think I'll have my lawyer call you." (or worse, the teenage boys  call me
things I never heard even after 21 years in the Army..and a week later my
mailbox is smashed, AGAIN........)(and the Post Office gives me a warning to
replace it within three days or they will stop delivering my mail)
Finally, the taxman thinks I make a million dollars since I am a
"Landowner"...he says it the way that makes it sound as if I have a huge
plantation and hundreds of slaves doing all the work...and he taxes me
accordingly.
So there's times when I wish that the next quake that hits is a big one. It
won't hurt me, much..I might lose  power, (but I have a nice big generator
and lots of fuel) but hopefully the cities will get swallowed up.

Michelle