Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: Horseshoes???

In a message dated 3/21/00 8:46:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owensall@sierranet.net writes:

<< Dear Sandy;
 Ain't that the truth?  I've become aware that lots of lamenesses originate
 from saddle pain and pinching rather than the feet.
 Katee >>

And take that one step further--a great deal of back pain comes from the
elongated backs that seem to be the rage in the halter ring.  These backs are
not only hard to fit, but also difficult to round, no matter HOW well the
saddle fits...  And eventually it translates to lameness, in many cases.

Several years ago, I had noted a familial tendency toward suspensory problems
in one particular line of Arabs, and was really puzzling over it--they
"looked" like they had good legs, and many had been properly conditioned and
brought along pretty sanely.  I was beginning to wonder if they had some sort
of inherent soft tissue weakness.  Then I started putting 2 and 2 together,
and realized that they had long backs with weak loins, coupled with "big"
trots.  They simply hollowed their backs, gutted it out, and flung themselves
gloriously down the trail until the legs started to go.  Nope, sure can't
blame it all on the farrier!

Heidi