Re: RC: RE: Re: Horseshoes???

In a message dated 3/20/100 12:48:52 PM EST, BMcCrary27@aol.com writes:

<<
 I don't think I have ever had experiences with a group of workmen who are
 more opinioinated and difficult to work with than farriers.  I KNOW there
 must be good ones out there. My experience have been that they start out
 being understanding, do good work, and are communicative, and then they
 backslide on quality of work after a few shoeings, become uncommunicative,
 and simply will not listen to the horse owner. Their attitude is often,
"Look
 lady, who knows more about shoeing a horse, me or you?"  I admit, I can't
 shoe a horse, but I've been watching farriers for 55 years and the first one
 I had was an older gentleman who was a master at his craft.  I learned a lot
 from him, just by watching.  Some of the subsequent ones have been good,
some
 OK, some..disasters. Some could handle an uncooperative horse, some would
 rough them up or fight with them.  Some were horsemen, some just
horseshoers.
 Some of them would stand you up...simply just not show up on the appointed
 day.  Some moved away.  All my problems are now solved...our eldest daughter
 shoes ours. She is SOOOO good!  She learned as a student at CAL POLY, San
 Luis Obispo, CA, apprenticed with an excellent shoer in that area, and
 started out just shoeing her own. Gradually, as our previous farrier was
 declining in quality of work, reliablility and availability, she began
 shoeing ours, then her sisters' horses, then a few neighbors' horses.  She's
 a full-time mother and a part-time farrier.  She does one to two horses max
 on any given day, but she rotates around until all horses are done on
 schedule. And she charges a little less than most farriers currently charge.
 The main thing is she is simply the most consistently good farrier we have
 ever had. She is always learning, she is always willing to discuss a problem
 with the horse owner, and doesn't have a big ego to maintain.  Lucky us!
 Again, I KNOW there are good farriers out there, but we've never been able

Your  problems with Farriers are sadly what I have had to deal with over the
years. Why are the majority like this.  I know of two decent farriers in
Reno, where by the way an ordinary shoeing costs $70 a horse now.  Is the
work so hard after awhile they get an attitude?  I feel lucky my horses have
kept sound over the years. Most have had very little schooling-just watching
someone else or doing what they did on the ranch seems to be the norm.  Oh
well, it feels good to let off steam on one of my pet peaves.  Pam    BTW You
are lucky having that great daughter.