Re: RC: Re: Horse slaughter

Hi Duncan
I agree with what you say to a point. I do not believe I have the right
to judge others (although it is hard for me to refrain from such at
times); however, there IS a BIG difference between an animal whom you
have kept in the field and has been treated dispassionately (cow) and an
animal who has been treated as a friend, fed treats, given some
decision-making power over their lives (after all--- don't they have an
input in trail pace and when enough is enough etc?)...... If we interact
with our horses, they become humanized (although I'm not sure that is a
complement) and they think, form attachments to us, and take on
personalities, or I should say, develop their personalities to a greater
extent than if the only thing they had to think about was where to
forage.
If we give them these opportunities to develop themselves and they are
not treated as commodities, do we not owe it to them to not change the
game rules when they no longer serve our needs? Then do we say to
them--- now act like a dumb unthinking animal who is devoid of feelings
for humans and accept your fate of being led like cattle to slaughter.
If we do that to wild horses it would even be a different matter from
doing it to one who has been a member of the family.
Just something to think about.
PS I did let Mark slaughter our dairy cow's son, Norman. I had saved her
2 Black Angus-cross (she was a Jersey---uuummm the cream!)daughters but
the pure Jersey son (we gave up on Big Macs and thought we'd breed
another milk cow---voila---Norman) was a goner. He never sucked up to
me--- would not come up to me and let me pet him. Hence, not a member of
the family; hence, Normanburgers for 2 years. He made his choice. I also
believe savage horses make theirs, too. Just not ol' "paint" who taught
the kids how to ride and took care of them. I would have a big problem
justifying sending that one to the slaughterhouse, but then again, I
cried during Phar Lap. Just me.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!