Re: RC: clipping

In a message dated 3/15/00 9:51:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, renee@dnai.com
writes:

<< A year and a half ago while at the Sage Hill Competitive trail ride--I
think
 that it was also the IAHA sweepstakes ride---at any rate the ride
 veterinarian really scolded a woman who had body clipped her horse----it was
 a total body clip.  He said that clipping the saddle area is a no no in long
 distance riding and that for sure he felt that her hose would suffer
 blisters and schaffing in the saddle area. He made a big deal out of it and
 totally mortified the poor woman in front of a whole group of people.  I've
 never needed to clip a horse b/f--what do you all think about clipping the
 saddle area, is it a no no as that vet insisted? >>

It sure seems to work better to leave hair in the saddle area--including the
girth.  It provides a certain amount of protection.

Heidi