20 km. ride account

Sure, you can forward my story--I've already sent it to Ibrahim Sami.
The Ridecamp folks may be interested to know that I'm 52, Masaoud is
over 20 and was just getting his condition back after the
encephalitis bout in Nov. I guess I'm a good example of a novice who
gets into trouble, and there are some lessons in there, like bring
your hoof pick and practice dismounting/remounting in the middle of
nowhere (I was glad I'd done both).  And don't be afraid to ask for
help--knowing that Babs, Dr. Emad, et al., were aware of the problem
and keeping an eye on us from the car did wonders for my mental
state. Left on my own, I'd have definitely pulled out and hiked those
last 6 km or so on foot.

I'd really love reading other people's stories, as I only got a
couple verbal ones. I'll try to encourage Richard to write his up if
his hands have stopped bleeding. It would be fun to have the
visitors' perspectives as well, if any are on e-mail. When those vets
at the pre-ride decided Masaoud was a major problem, I told them,
"You ain't seen nothin' yet", knowing that Iannani, Mishmish, Sam,
Texas, and the like were still to come.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg