Pride Project

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/  (if it isn't up, check back shortly!)

For those of you that have participated (or are going to) in the Pride
Project, Susan Garlinghouse has put together (with a great deal of
research) a 6 page explanation of the CBC report.  Thank you Susan, and
thank you Barney for allowing us the opportunity to learn so much about our
horses!

Starting with the Renegade ride the horses participating in the Pride
Project will also be weighed on a scale, and have 2 glucose tests run.  If
you just want to weigh your horse, you can do that too for a nominal fee.

In case any of you don't already know about the Pride Project, it is an
effort to study endurance horses in the field, not just high profile or
highly competitive rides but the rest of us.  I have been fortunate enough
to participate so far with one of my horses on two different multiday
rides.  While I am learning tons about my horse in the process (what is
right, what isn't right, what I might do better), I am also contributing
data that may benefit the entire sport as a whole. The cost is $115.00 per
day of testing and that includes 3 complete profiles and CBC's, weighing
and 2 glucose tests.  Blood is drawn three times - pre-ride, during the
ride, and post-ride (immediately upon finishing).  The first test is run on
site, with an "iStat" hand held blood analyzer by Heska. Blood is taken
directly to the machine or into a green vacutainer and then to the machine.
Whole blood is put into the unit by way of a "cartridge" and the results
take 2 minutes. That is a reading of gases and electrolytes. The
blood is then separated and frozen for transport to the lab.

The data gathered will include; Weighing,  Sodium, Potassium, Ionized
Calcium, pH, HCO3, PCO2, PO2, TCO2, sO2, Base Excess, Hematocrit,
Hemoglobin  and performance glucoses  (done at the ride), and CBC, Glucose,
BUN, Total Protein, Creatinine, Calcium, Phosphorus, Albumin, Alk Phos,
Cholesterol, SGOT, Total Bilirubin, Direct Bilirubin, Chloride, Gamma GT,
LDH, and CPK (done at the lab).

For those of you that want to test your horses on entire multidays, here
are the rates:

5 Day $350 (refund for any test not completed)
4 Day  $290 (same refund)
3 Day  $230 (same refund)

Tentative and incomplete Schedule

Cinder Lakes 6/3/00                                           Desert Sky
Riders 4/22/00
Old Pueblo 4/11/00                                            Cow Tanks 2/
11  13 /00
20 Mule Team 2/19/00                                       Renegade 3/
13  17 /00
Gamblers Special 4/ 2  2 /00                            Indian Springs 4/8/00
Chimayo Chile 5/6/00                                        Mt Charleston
5/ 20  21 /00
Tall Pines 5/28/00                                              Mt Laguna
6/17/00
Ft Schellborne 6/12  16/00                               Raton 7/22 & 23 /00
Rocky Mt Ride 7/31  8/4 00                            Apache Kid 9/2 & 3/00
Cuneo Creek 9/9 & 10/00                                Scorpion Sting 9/16/00
Desert Sky Riders 10/7/00                                 North Rim
10/14  16/00
Silver State 11/24  26/00			    Around The Mountain  12/1  3/00
And 2 tentative in CT Region--- Ol' Glory 7/17  19/00 and Texas Shootout
9/23/00