Re: RC: Interval Training

In a message dated 3/7/00 4:59:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, TddWil@aol.com
writes:

<< Is IT only considered IT when the horse's heartrate goes into the
anaerobic
 range for that horse? How much of an LSD base is needed first? The horse in
 question is going on 12YO and was previously fit (not recently) from
 conditioning for the track (I don't have the details). I have no hill access
 but I do have access to a 1/2 mile track.

                                                         Shelly in DE &
Rashwan >>

Kind of. The whole idea of IT is to enable more volume of higher intensity
work in a given workout--that's the reason for the partial recovery rest
intervals. If you're doing work at low heartrates, no need for partial
recoveries.

As a rule of thumb, figure that a horse can safely deliver an interval
workout that is 1/2 the volume of his longest regular LSD exercise. However,
the intensity of that IT work has to be approached carefully, a slice of
speed at a time.

ti