Re: RC: Re: can you say tent?

>>Well some of us who are "roughing" it would RATHER be in your camper
>
>I just interviewed a ride vet of 15 years for an article for EN.  I asked
>him what's the biggest change.  His answer:  "Equipment" (I immediately
>thought saddles, biothane, etc.)  He said, "Everybody's got a trailer
>with a camper, nobody wants to sit around the fire and visit any more,
>they've all got heaters"
>
>So that's why I'm the last to leave the fire ever time!  Say what you
>will for your campers, but I love it when everybody hangs around the fire
>and visits after a ride. (when my horse is too mellow to get in trouble
>and I can finally relax and leave him at the trailer unattended).  If you
>rush back to your cocoon for a hot supper, you're missing the best part
>of the sport.  Now that I think back on the year, the best camp fires and
>visiting were at the rides with the least prestige.  Go to one where you
>could walk on aluminum rooftops from one end of the field to the other
>and you can hardly get anybody to visit.
>
>Angie

Sounds like riders just need to learn how to tailgate party.  I went to the
Rosebowl (On Wisconsin!) and we took the RV and parked with the other RVs
(about 300) in a wooded park near the stadium -- looked like ridecamp
without the horses (except when they brought the Budweiser Clydesdales
through on their way to hitch up for float judging).  Anyway, we wandered
around checking out camps -- those fans from Wisconsin know how to
socialize in an RV environment! (the Stanford folks were no slouches
either).  The little wood burning portable firepits seemed to be standard
equipment -- there were plenty of "campfires" to sit around and even the
light rain New Year's Eve didn't diminish the actvity -- roll down the
awnings, move the chairs under cover, break out another beer, and "throw
another brat on the barbie".  Met lots of nice people without having to
rough it.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky