Death Valley Ride

It was interesting to see wild burros everyday. Their droppings were so
large I kept thinking I would see a draft horse up ahead on the trail.
Why are burro's feet so small and droppings so large compared to horses?

We were fortunate to ride wild horses almost every day of the ride.
Michele was riding a five year old originally nicknamed "Humpy" by the
cowboys that rode him first, and he now has the name "Peanut" after he
has decided to become an endurance horse (after 100 miles on the trail).
His real name is Sir Kai and like his brother of the range, that I rode,
is from the Susanville BLM area.

I got to ride Robin Hood for four days of the DVE doing the limited
distance each day since this was the first time I have every ridden this
mustang and it was his first time back since getting a strangles abcess
just before the Pan Am games that he was nominated to ride in.  He was
strong in all those simple but rocky days of the ride and he sure
enjoyed New Years at Panimant Springs as much as we did!

Michele is riding Phil Ottinger's grey mustang, Sir Kai,  for him
competitively and I am conditioning Robin Hood while Phil looks for any
international rider that wants to use Robin Hood for any of the upcoming
games.

Anyone wanting Robin Hood's aerc number to access his remarkable record
can contact me. In the meantime I'm putting solid miles on him and have
hopes that no one uses this great horse 'cause maybe Phil will let me
ride him at Tevis, if I am lucky!

Steve Shaw