(Fwd) Cheaper pastures

Hi Laney,
well, we are about as east as you can get, but I think we fill your
needs.  Although I work in Manhattan, I live 100 miles north west of
the city in the Hudson Valley, mid way to Albany, NY the state
capitol.  The New Paltz area is the mecca for east coast rock
climbing and hiking and mountain biking. It is a less yuppy Boulder.
 Please see www.mohonkimages.com for some photos of Mohonk and
Minnewaska parks.  These parks sit upon a long, glorious granite
ridge which is listed as one of the 50 most unique enviornmental
areas in the USA.  Glacial lakes, and 60+ miles of cinder carraige
trails with spectacular vistas, temperate rain forests, rock barrens,
 sun and brilliant blue lakes.  Excellent training for trail horses!
Board ranges from $150 for rough board to $450 for a training
facility with indoor ring.  I have my horse at a dressage barn
through the winter months but will move to another barn for the
summer months when I want to do less training and more conditioning.
 I occupy an apartment in a mother/daughter big log home set-up.  The
apartment, and house are upstairs/downstairs, in excellent condition
and sit on 8 acres, some brush the remainder hay fields.  This 3
bedroom house, 2 bath house, with views of the cliffs, and with  600$
rental income, is for sale for $180,000.    We are in a unique
position, having excellent restaurants, an educated populace, 2 hours
from a very hip urban area, good job markets, wonderful scenery, and
fairly mild winters. AND GREAT TRAILS.  REALLY.  I've hiked the
pacific NW, Colorado, NM, and believe me, these trails can match
any that I saw in the West.   Summers are moderate.
If you move farther upstate even by an hour, the prices drop that
much further.  The endurance. net site has a farm listed from central
NY, 125 acres, for $135,ooo with homes, barns etc.    Well, something
else to consider!  Let me know should you ever want to visit! Good
luck in your search for greener & cheaper pastures.
Beth and Klassy
in New Paltz, NY
Still on snowless trails in January!
Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY