Re: Haylage vs Cubes

Susan wrote:

> It takes 3 pounds of haylage to replace 1 pound of cured hay (long stem or
> cubes or pellets), due to the differences in moisture content.

This is what a lot of people fall foul of. They
think they can feed the same weight as dry hay
and the horse starts to lack sufficient fibre.
Someone told me that feeding the same volume is a
safeish way of figuring it out. The moisture
content varies a lot over here between brands and
also bag-to-bag within brands depending on all
sorts. So there's a little bit of 'black magic'
needed when trying to gauge the right amount to
feed <g>

I have noticed that haylage fed horses over here
always seem to have a healthy bloom when
compared to cured hay fed horses...maybe it is
because our weather has been terrible for curing
hay over the last few years...?

> BTW, good quality silage is also perfectly acceptable for horses.  The only
> difference between silage and haylage is that silage is any sort of plant
> material that also contains grain products, while haylage does not contain
> grain.  Good quality of either is fine---poor quality (meaning air has been
> reintroduced and it's no longer anaerobic) is harmful regardless of whether
> its silage or haylage.

I dunno about over there, but over here farmers
don't seem to be too particular when making big
bale silage for cattle <g>. The bags always seem
to have holes in them, etc, etc, etc......But if
you can persuade your local silage makers to wrap
the bales properly then you'd be OK as long as
they aren't adding stuff to it (which sometimes
happens). Only trouble with a big round bale of
silage is that you need to be sure that you have
enough horses to eat it up as it doesn't remain
good for long once opened <g>

Cheers!

Liz and Basil The Nag
--