More Stories, 20 Mule Team

Dogs

There were dogs galore in every one of the vet checks throughout the
ride. I counted six at a time myself. All of these off leash. There were
at least three to four more but thankfully these were on leashes or in
trucks. Everybody seemed to think that since this was the middle of the
desert their pooch wouldn't wander off so here was a great off leash dog
park! However it was in the middle of a 200 + horse race.

The dogs were all sure happy. Many new tires and crew supplies to pee
on. Grain and mash all over the place to munch on, and for the sly
ones-crew bags and lunches to purloin.

I noticed one dog fight that happened between a rider and dog at the 2nd
vet check. A radio support person had parked his truck right next to
where the P&R's were. He kept his dog in the truck because it didn't
like people or horses. That is why it barked continually, especially
with all of the people and horses around. I noticed Jon Priest getting
rather annoyed at the dog and Jon made stern eye contact with it. Well
that simply set the dog off even more and it became a frothing menace
through the open window of the truck. I saw Jon winch in recognition
that it hadn't help quiet the dog and I think the dog won this one.

There were many more dog fights throughout the day and I will mention
them in my Chief Stewards Report Draft of the race. I will hope that you
will all comment on my draft before I send it in to Mike Tomlinson and
AHSA.

I was fortunate to witness the race to the finish for the two horses
tied for first in the 100 mile event, John DePietra and Jennifer
Oltmann. John had caught Jenn on the 30 mile loop and they rode in
together for the fifth vet check five miles out of base camp. They still
had the base camp vet check and the last 10 mile leg back to this vet
check and then the  race back down the hill to the finish at camp. They
both seemed resigned to riding together though Jenn and Alby PR'ed first
out of this 5th vet check by about 4 minutes ahead of  John. John's
horse sure looked sluggish and used at this point, so much that Charley
Liske, the vet, told him not to push to the base camp. Lucky for John
that Jennifer had said that she was just going to walk out of the VC
until he caught her and they would ride together. Otherwise John would
have violated the Vet's instructions. They did in fact ride together and
came into the Base camp check at the same time. Jenn again left about a
minute ahead. They rode back together to the last vet check up the hill.

At this last vet check we imposed the criteria on them both (after
informing their crews ahead of time) that they could not present their
horses to the P&R persons unless they were in fact at criteria.
Otherwise there would be a one minute penalty. It sure worked well as
they both hovered over their mounts and ended up taking a good hard look
at them before considering presenting. I have to hand it to John
DePietra. He positioned himself close to the PR station and simply used
his hand on the horse to determine its pulse (no stethoscope) when he
finally said "ok, let's try it." the horse was down to the 60 criteria
and it was 30 seconds before Jenn's Alby.

True to their promises, they did ride out together and all of the way to
the finish. John must have crossed the finish line a nose ahead as I
believe they had tried for a tie. John's horse had a reasonable showing
at the BC judging (I heard) but Alby was superior. Jenn and Alby won
their 2nd consecutive 100 mile BC award. Look out for them at Tevis and
possibly the Pan Am ride.

STev Shaw