Re: Pacing Rocky MT.

Linda B. Merims wrote:

> MargePiwowarski wrote:
> >
> > Karen,

> > Your mare paces, she *will* gait.  She even qualifies as a "naturally"
> > gaited horse, she just needs some mileage and fine tuning from her rider.
> >
> > Be sure her saddle is placed 4-6 inches farther BACK than where you (and
> > me, and everybody else) were taught to put a saddle.  Be sure you are
> > riding with a bit that allows the horse to establish solid contact without
> > discomfort in the mouth...
>
> <Lots of good advice deleted.>
>
> An old saddlebred trainer trick is to ask for the broken lateral gait
> while the horse is traveling *downhill*.  The horse is going to tend
> to strike with the hind foot first anyway, so why not take advantage
> of it?
>
> Linda B. Merims
> lbm@ici.net
> Massachusetts, USA

And I found by accident (with my first-ever gaited horse, a
maybe-a-Standardbred) that if the horse tries to trot or pace uphill
because it's easier than walking, and you just hang back & don't let
them, they'll also find a way to break up the 2 beats.  In the end, the
best training for her was to turn her out in a big ol' hillside pasture
for a couple months.  Boy can she gait now.

-Abby