Re: full recovery at vet checks?

In a message dated 2/20/99 10:16:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL
writes:

<<temporarily, yes, but also temporarily causes a shift away from utilizing
other energy sources, which also take time to gear back up again.  Seems to me
that I have seen reference to the carbs causing an increase in blood glucose
for up to two hours, and I think you have even quoted figures in that range. >

In horses, a grain feeding will cause a rise in blood glucose that starts
within fifteen minutes and typically peaks in two hours--at four hours, in
some six hours, you're back to fasted levels.

>The flip side is that the utilization of other energy sources that have been
suppressed takes about 4 to 6 hours to "gear back up" so to speak)

Yes, elevated blood glucose temporarily shuts down fat metabolism. That's why
you have to keep  feeding doses on the order of every two hours, or you'll get
a tired horse.

> after there has been an insulin response and blood sugar has normalized (or
if you are using it up through exercise, possibly even lowered).  You can
continue to dose carbs, and that may be effective in the case of a front-
running 50 with an elapsed time of 5 hours or so.  But that is not a yo-yo
that I would care to start in the case of a 100-miler that may be out there
for 16 or 18 hours--which may still be a competitive elapsed time on a tough
ride like Tevis on a hot year!>

It's no a yoyo in practice--just steady energy--unless you fail to stick to a
roughly 2-hour interval of carb-feeding. Kat and Roger know a lot more about
this than I do.

 Heidi >>

ti