Re: Horse too fast!!

>I give the best advice I can according to my limited bag of tricks. Some
here
>have suggested I'm trying to kill listers' horses with my advice. What I'm
>actually doing is reporting the experiences of myself (approaching 30
years)
>and some 700 trainers I work with. If some of you would like to
(selectively)
>immerse yourselves in the literature and ignore the real world, that's ok
by
>me.

Some of us actually combine direct experience with endurance horses *with*
the literature.  And the literature is based on real, live, recent clinical
studies.  Some of us even contribute to the literature with relevant,
repeatable data.  "Immerse" does not equal "pay attention even if we don't
agree".

>Maybe I'll
>give you a few teasers so you can attack your own guru.
>
>Here's one: "Ingested fats are usee primarily as a source of dietary
energy,
>although if a diet contains adequate available carbohydrate and protein,
fats
>are not needed as a source of energy."
>
>That's on Page 22. Seems pretty clear to me.

Me too.  Especially the sentence immediately following your own quote:

"Digested fats provide over 2.25 times more utilizable energy than an equal
weight of digested carbohydrate or protein.  Because of their high energy
density...these foods may be added to a horse's diet to increase its dietary
energy intake in an effort to increase its growth rate, milk production,
reproductive efficiency or physical performance."

But, nice try, Tom.  Next.

>By the way, since we last argued about this subject, there have been
another
>score of papers published concerning carbohydrates and sprint or endurance
>athletics.

Do any of them have to do with horses, or are they all about humans again?
Do we need to review yet again that a simple-stomached animal does not rely
on energetics the same way as a hindgut fermenter?

>Would you like me to review some of those with you as well?

That reminds me, I need to xerox my ICEEP abstracts for you so you can get
up to speed on recent advances in *equine* exercise physiology, don't I?
Will I be seeing you at any of the research meetings this year?  Sure is
lots of new stuff going on, sure would be a shame for you to keeping missing
it all.  :-)

Susan G