Re: Wilderness Areas

In a message dated 2/15/99 11:14:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< You'd better read this twice before you vote.  Am I correct in thinking
 that more "WILDERNESS" areas means fewer trails for our competitions?   >>

Please remember that at one time the Western States Trail Foundation voted for
the Granite Chief area to be designated a Wilderness Area thinking that it
would be preserved for all time for the Tevis.  The next thing they found out
was that Wilderness Area meant no endurance rides.  They had to go to bat
really hard to get an approval to be able to continue the Tevis. I think they
had to get some sort of Grandfather clause for the ride.  Better e-mail Larry
Suddjian about the precise details; I would be a little leary about voting for
more Wilderness Areas until I found out whether they allowed endurance rides.

BMc