Redmond salt vs salt block

I posted this comment to Linda directly when she first asked about salts,
but since the discussion has grown I thought I would share it with
everyone.

I have two horses and have done my own rat tests with free choice salt
(always free choice).  I have provided salt blocks (both plain & mineral),
and then after some time switched to Redmond Salts.  I have done this test
both in the winter and in the heat of the summer.  My gelding much prefers
the Redmond Salts, and my mare much prefers the salt blocks (either type).
I do take a hammer to the salt blocks for my mare so that she can munch on
them opposed to licking.  So I save a few pennies on my mare, but they each
get what they prefer.  Not all horses prefer the Redmond salts... may be
worth your own test.

I also use to feed the free choice mineral supplement from ABC.  Both my
horses really went for it when I was at a different boarding facility with
pretty piss-poor hay.  Since I moved to a new facility with excellent hay,
it is completely ignored and just collects bugs.  Another interesting thing
that I noticed with the mineral supplements... we have a very old retired
horse at our ranch that roams freely among the other paddocks.  He wont eat
much hay, but will eat grass all day long.  When I have accidently left one
of my paddocks open I have found old Vinny chowing away on the free choice
mineral.  I gave him my left overs and he eats it regularly.  I know there
has been a debate out about whether or not horses regulate what they
need... I think our own field tests are pretty interesting.

Jennifer Layman, Goose & Hooy
Menlo Park, CA