Re: Arabian Saddle Company Saddles

<Snip>
>Anybody have one of these with any opinions that they'd
>like to share?  Private or public, as you prefer.
>
>Linda B. Merims
>lbm@ici.net
>Massachusetts, USA

I have the Solstice model you mention. I ride a larger (15-2) Arab and
weigh 205 (apologies to Tzadik). I have ridden endurance since 1993. During
all that time I have sought for a saddle that would fit my horses back and
handle the kind of long distance, hard working riding that we like to do. I
have bought 4 different saddles and given 4 others thorough testing on my
horse. I have also used a variety of pads all trying to really fit my
horse. All the saddles worked "pretty well" but each had fitting issues,
required cruppers, or caused wear/dry patches after long rides.

  Bev Gray, a top-flight endurance rider I had ridden with and had come to
respect suggested I try the Solstice. They  sent me a new saddle to try. I
put it through its paces and saw that it fit my horse better than any
saddle I had used or tried to that point. I could ride this saddle without
breast collar or crupper in VERY steep terrain and the saddle stayed in
place. (I use the neoprene girth and do it snug but not real tight. I have
now had the saddle several months. I have used it in endurance training and
one 50 mi ride (3rd place finish).

I have found that my horse really likes the saddle and can move freely
under it. I have not seen any of the pressure point/wear problems with it.
It is also very comfortable for me to ride (I chose to get the narrow twist
style seat. My fat legs didn't work too well with the wider option.)  It is
clearly a very well made leather saddle and I am very pleased with it.
Incidentally, I have used just a thin (about 1/4 to 3/8" thick) felt pad to
ride with. I have not needed any of the special "systems" that can be
expensive.

Good luck, I hope you find the saddle that will suit your needs.

Byron Harward and Tzadik