Re: Queensland Heeler/Dingo types

At 09:59 PM 2/10/99 -0800, Nancy DuPont wrote;

>Many of us horse owners own these strangely desireable dogs who are so
>faithful, loyal, stay with us type animals.

I have also owned three cattle dog/dingo mixes (at different times).  They
all liked to roll in smelly things. The first one was very good to take
riding and the other two would heel the horses at home and on the trail.
The first one (the best!) disappeared out of my yard.  The other two were
given to cattle ranchers and became good working dogs.
I now have Rhodesian Ridgebacks that go riding with me.  They don't roll on
dead things and they stay pretty close, usually casting back and forth in
front of me.  The horses seem to like having them along-the dogs flush up
all the spooky things (rabbits, pheasants, quail, etc.)ahead on the trail!
I especially like to take them along while riding young horses.  At first
the horses watch the dogs and are a jumpy when they suddenly appear near
them, but soon, they get desensitized and seem to be less spooky about all
the  other surprises along a trail.  Young horses also seem to gain
confidence because the dogs are going first-gives them someone to follow if
I don't have another horse and rider to go along.
The Ridgebacks, being hunting dogs, mostly ignore the horses at
home(sometimes get chased out of grain pans by greedy horses!)  I really
like their short hair, too.  Burrs and foxtails don't stick and mud usually
dries and falls off!
I sure will be glad when the ground thaws a little so I can go out for a
nice, long ride!!

Debbie and "Shah" (100 LD miles)
and "Max" (RR official Spook-Buster)