Re: Redmond salt

In a message dated 2/10/99 3:09:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, ChacoL@aol.com
writes:

<<  I've read many times that salt blocks are made for cattle, not
 horses, and that horses don't have a rough enough tongue to deal with the
 blocks.>>

Have used blocks for horses for years, and they deal with them just fine.

 <<So I ordered some Redmond salt (a loose, TM salt) from KV Vet Supply.  It
 arrived today, and now I can't remember how to offer it:  Added to the feed
 daily? weekly?  After a ride?  Fed free choice in a small feed pan attached
 the stall? >>

I would still prefer free choice.  I never like to feed salt, as horses DO
regulate their sodium intake fairly well.  Also, in my experience, horses
become much more efficient with salt if they work, sweat, become a bit
deprived, and then replace, rather than having to deal with excess salt
because it is present in their feed.

Heidi