Re: Riding Downhill (Long)

L Eisele wrote:

> A horse is terribly unbalanced or unstable moving sideways on a steep
> hill, just as it is dangerous to turn a car sideways on a steep hill:
> risk roll over.  A balanced horse going down a steep hill if is under
> itself  is more apt to sit on its haunches if it slips.

Traversing a hill makes sense if the footing is good - flat trail at
least wide enough for the horse's feet to track on.  Otherwise, straight
up or down, please!

Mike's horse, Major stepped off a <narrow> trail on a steep mountainside
to make way for another horse to pass.  He found himself slightly off
balanced on the sudden change in footing and nearly sidepassed at a dead
run to keep from falling over sideways to the downhill side.  All Mike
could do was stay centered until Major could catch himself.  As soon as
he could balance himself, Major turn to face downhill and just stood.
When Mike asked him to turn and go back up, Major took Mike firmly by the
hand(s) and walked DOWN the hill to turn around & go back up.  (As if to
say "Enough of this foolishness.  I'm not turning sideways for that to
happen again.)

I was taught that your body should be at the same angle as the trees
growing out of the hillside.  It seems to put us in a neutral, balanced
spot.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV