Re: Putting a horse down

---Louise D Burton <FIREDANCEFARMS@prodigy.net> wrote:

> My thoughts...unless they are in pain, who are we to end their life?
> OK, flame away...but if they are not in pain,

Good point, Louise!

I had to put down my beloved endurance partner, Nergie, in 1995.  I
can't think about it today without crying.  The previous year, he
severed his right rear digital flexor tendon while running up front.
Some (Mr. NV?) would have put him down then.  Thanks to the excellent
skills of Dr. Dane Frazier, Nergie recovered to race a little over a
year later.  We had finished Top 5 in IAHA Region IX and were
preparing for Nationals when he broke his leg while out in his home
pasture.

My point is, with the first injury, a very seasoned and knowledgable
vet thought he had a chance of recovery.  Even if Nergie couldn't race
again, chances were he wouldn't be in pain.  I would've retired him
and probably kept him unless someone appropriate bought him.  I
could've lived with my decision even if Nergie couldn't race
anymore...as long as he wasn't in pain.  If I want to get rid of a
horse because I can't use him anymore, I sell him.  This is a concept
most endurance riders are well acquainted with.

I understand a horse getting SO old they are no longer of service to
you except a friend of the family.  Many people put this "Ole
Faithfuls" down.  I've had MANY older horses (35 + years of age upon
natural death) and consider them a PART of my family.  They live out
their lives in the pasture and are well taken care of...even at death.
 If you don't feel this way and choose to have them put down, I
respect your decision the same way you respect mine.

Susan Young
Glenndale Grace Farm
Muskogee, OK