upward fixation of the patellas

Dear Ridecampers,
I have a 3 year old arab gelding recently diagnosed with upward fixation of the patellas (a stifle problem).  The recommendation is to keep him on hilly pasture and frequently (3 or more times per week) exercise him on trails with hills to build-up his hindend
(of course, within the limitations of a young horse).  Endurance is supposed to be a good performance option.  If anyone has experience with this problem, I would greatly appreciate feedback on your results with training.  My current understanding is that the surgery to cut the ligament is not recommended unless exercise does not relieve the problem.  In particular, I am interested in information about what happens during "lay off" periods (e.g., when the horse isn't getting regular exercise).

I am looking for a new home for this horse (you can view his ad on endurance net classifieds) because of time constraints (job, other horse) that make keeping him impractical.  He's a real sweetie and deserves to find a very good home.  Any information to give to a potential new owner would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Happy holidays!

Michele
Northern California
fleabit@jps.net