saddle rubbing loins

I have had the problem you describe with two of my Orthoflex saddles (I used
to manage a riding academy where four Orthoflex saddles -each a different
model - were used).  The problem was with the longer saddles  on either a
short-backed or a flexible-in-the-hips horse.  Different remedies worked
with different horses.

You say you've tried various wool pads.  I found that because wool slipped
less on the horses' hair it worked better than synthetic fleece. A folded
woven wool blanket worked well with a couple horses I had.  At one time I
sewed a piece of slippery polyester fabric to the bottom of the cantle area
of the saddle (where it would move against the back) and that helped the
movement of the saddle slide over the wool pad which separated the saddle
from the horse,s hair and skin.

I eventually began using just the shortest saddle on horses I used myself
for endurance (the others were used just for lessons and shorter CTR's).  I
too went to all this trouble trying to remedy the loin-rubbing problem
because it was the least problem I'd had with any saddle I'd had (and at
some point every one has a limit on money available to try "yet ANOTHER"
saddle that "could finally be THE one that fits - and we know that then the
horse's back would change shape due to a change in fitness or just due to
age, or perhaps we'd need to go through the whole process all over again
with another horse)!

I hope this rant gives you some usable ideas.

Olivia Greene