Re: RE: Fw:"Artificial racing"?

To Maria Wallis:
I think Steph did a magnificent job of addressing your questions. Just
wanted to add my penny's worth.

"A second concern we have, as breeders of Arabians:  If horses continue to
be
supplemented and raced "artificially" (in our opinion, humble as it is),
will this evolve into a generation of horses that cannot compete and compete
well without the supplements, etc.?"

I did not excel in Biology 101 or any of the empirical sciences and am a
little intimidated by overly scientific discussions, but I am finding much
of the discussions extremely interesting and am saving to a separate file
information that I can study over when I have the extra time. If some of it
seems to be a little too esoteric, there is always the delete key. But
there's plenty there to chew on. Since I became involved in this sport a few
years ago, I have been on a constant quest for:
1)a better fitting saddle
2)more efficient training and conditioning methods
2)most sensible feeding program
3)the best combination of alfalfa/hay or hay only or the best type of hay
4)whether to use rice bran, beet pulp, probiotics, etc. etc. etc.
and on and on and I'm sure you get the picture. It's a never ending search
for ways to help my horse achieve his potential. I do not consider that the
things we do to try to help our horses are setting up "artificial
conditions". It only makes good sense to me to continue to educate ourselves
and find where and how we can enhance our horse's performance. This in no
way relieves me of the responsibility of putting in the hours and miles to
condition. It's not just the 50 miles on ride day that makes this sport.
It's the preparation (and that includes the training miles as well as
developing the optimal feeding program and tweaking it here and altering it
there). In other words, it's the journey, not merely the destination. Kind
of like when I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. I could have hopped a plane
and gone from Mexico to Canada in a few hours. I would have missed the five
months of sweat, hardships, exhilaration, pride, etc. etc.
All this to say, do not become discouraged because you encounter evidence of
people who share a common passion engaging in discussion (albeit sometimes
heated) of how to best help their horses. I would think that  one would be
encouraged by the intellectual curiosity displayed and the willingness to
work hard at their sport. How terrible it would be if we all just hopped on
our horses and rode like h---l to get from point A to point B to prove how
fast or strong our horses are. That's activity from which I would distance
myself yesterday! So give it a try. I suspect you will love the sport. You
can take what you feel helps you and leave what seems like fluff. It's all
up to you.
Pat Super