Re: RC: Reply from an educated derelict

In a message dated 12/27/99 1:32:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dleblanc@mindspring.com writes:

<< I could be wrong, but based on your choice of internet service providers,
 I'd surmise that you haven't been interacting on the internet for very
 long.  I've been on newsgroups and mailing lists before AOL was even
 connected to the internet for much of anything (or existed, actually).  One
 of the pieces of information I'm trying to share is how to avoid common
 mistakes using this communication form.

 There's a number of subtle issues with discussing things via e-mail that
 make this form of communication a lot more difficult than sitting face to
 face.  You pretty consistently throw loaded phrases into your writing
 (e.g., "whimper").  If you're really interested in exchanging information,
 you'd try to avoid making people angry, instead of using a lot of words and
 phrases with negative connotations.  When people get angry, they don't
 listen as well, and they don't communicate as well.  There's good reasons
 to be polite when dealing with people on mailing lists if you're really
 interested in information exchange.  When I piss people off, they're
 usually more involved in telling me that I'm an idiot and a jerk than they
 are with exchanging useful information.>

I choose my words carefully, to mean precisely what I want to communicate.
The day I get the award for Mr Positive, I'll be in my grave. Same day they
appoint me as Ambassador to the UN. I detest mealy-mouthed politicians as
toothy-grinned manipulators of the nastiest type. They communicate nothing
that is real while giving the impression that they are simply wonderful folks
all dolled up to please everybody with every word. If that's the only kind of
information you can digest, you won't learn much from me.

 ti