Water vs. Carbos

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/26/99 8:05:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> eqperform@jps.net writes:
>
> <<       Water is mixed in the carbo charge right? so the secret is water.
>  Get your horse to drink water before he needs it like a marathon runner.
>  Now there only one person i know that has her horses  trained to drink,
>  that is Dolly Decair,  amazing.  Now running long distance for humans is
>  water and everything to suger load, but desnt seem to work as the stomach
>  says no way   we can force this a cause a stomach ache.  We know this but
>  do our horses, man over matter again.   I belive in good conditioning not
>  over doing it and plenty of rest.   Think about all the stuff in the creeks
>  at a ride from the prevoius rider,  Electrolites, carbo charge, dropped
>  into the drinking water, well there enough there for my horse.. Happy New
>  Year you guys.   steve
>   >>

> Gastric absorption/upset has been well studied in human sport, most studies
> sponsored by Gatorade. There is an ideal solution concentration for
> humans--appears to be around 6%.
>
> ti

On the other hand there are a lot of people who will get sick after the intake
of Gator aid over extended periods of exercise. I being one.  I was discussing
this problem with a club tennis pro several years ago who actaully went to her
MD because of this problem. It was reported to her that it is common and it is
the "sugar" in Gator Aid , Power Aid, etc that causes the problems. Believe me
3 plus hours of tennis in plus 90 temp and about as much humidity is an
extended period of exercise.  He suggested a different electrolyte - one with
no sugars -  product and it really helped her. She started beating people she
hadn't bet in several years.  I tried it and it has really helped me. I can
finish a 100 in very good shape now - where I used to feel like I got into a
fight with a steam roller and lost.

Disclaimer: Like any "one rat" experiment, the above post makes not claim of
any statistical validity  - since there isn't any statistical validity to lay
claim to in one rat experiments - nor does it make any claim to the effect on
the population as a whole.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com