Re: RC: Re: Endurance Bloodlines

In a message dated 12/26/99 10:02:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kmhicks1@juno.com writes:

<< As far as the testing of racing is concerned.  I am dubious at this stage
 in my life if a racing record really proves anything about a riding
 horse.  Yes, it proves the horse can run, but does it prove the horse can
 be ridden by a child (important to me), or that the horse would be a
 dressage prospect, or a decent hunter, or a Park horse?  No.  Now, does
 it prove they might be better endurance horses?  I doubt that very
 seriously.  It seems to me that running the distances we ask of them on
 American and European tracks is not a good test of a horse's potential
 endurance ability.  >>

I agree wholeheartedly.  In fact, it's been my observation that selection for
racing and nothing else tends to select for a horse more suitable to shorter
distances than what we are doing.  By the same token, I find it folly when
folks quote famous names in pedigrees that earned their fame in the show
ring, and expect that to equate to endurance potential.  The Arabian as it
was introduced to this country was a generalist, whose only real claim to
fame was as an endurance athlete.  And it's no surprise to me that the horses
that retain the qualities of those early horses are those that excel in our
sport.  While CMK has concentrated on retaining those qualities first and
foremost, there are many other "groups within groups" that have those
qualities also.  Two of the main subgroups that come to mind are the Patton
Polish (*Witez II and others) and the Babson horses.

As for other endeavors that at least have some crossover with endurance--yes,
selection for racing does at least put some emphasis on soundness.  Dressage
puts emphasis on horses that can carry themselves efficiently, which is also
paramount in endurance.  There is a great deal of similarity between
successful Arab cutting pedigrees and successful Arab endurance pedigrees,
too, and it would seem that the agility and eagerness to work would represent
a crossover there.  Nonetheless, there is nothing like endurance to ensure
that the horse possesses the actual metabolic potential required.

On the other hand, I think some of the show disciplines, the way they are
currently judged, are actually selective of qualities that are a detriment.
The so-called "Park" horse in modern shows has such huge, pounding motion
that he tends to concuss himself right into unsoundness when asked to travel
for miles.  The halter horses have become a travesty--long, tubular bodies
with flags on each end, with hollow backs and in many cases not much
attention paid to legs.  (With the hollow backs, even a good set of legs can
be beat to death, though, as the horse flails along trying to compensate for
his back.)  Our Western horses in the show ring are nearly being selected for
a LACK of impulsion.  Not good.  I've reached the point where I almost
consider show-ring wins among forebears within the last quarter of a century
to be a negative rather than a positive, although one must be careful to
avoid too much generalization.  I, too, like to see stallions that are at
least broke to ride, and that's one thing we strive to do here.  Nonetheless,
I will under some circumstances go to an unbroke stallion--if his gelded
brothers are excelling, for instance, and his life circumstances have simply
kept him from being started.  It doesn't take too much personal investigation
in some of the back yards where some real gems are found to determine that a
horse has the disposition, conformation, etc., and simply is not broke
because he has an elderly owner without resources, or whatever.

The real bottom line is do one's utmost to select the RIGHT stallion for each
worthy mare, regardless of where that horse may be found, and to spend
PERSONAL time evaluating horses who for one reason or another have not had
opportunity to prove themselves.  I never cease to be appalled how many
people (and not just Arab people--in fact I think this is even more prevalent
in many other breeds) will get shipped semen from the best-promoted or latest
fad stallion without EVER even seeing the horse in person!  He may be a
perfectly lovely horse, but how can you determine if he is right for YOUR
mare if you don't put some effort into evaluation?

Heidi