Re: Pro Burst and CarboCharge

Mike writes:
<I have an eight year old half arab half trakehner which I started in
endurance last April. We did a 25 in April and a fifty in May
Then at the end of May we did another fifty at Liberty Run Next ride August
28th the GERA Classic 50.
that ride
and went to do the 3 day 150 at Big South Fork in early Sept.
Sept 25th went to Biltmore and was pulled at 25 miles for left front limp
Next up Thanksgiving 50 at J.Ds.

"Trotted out a little tired."
" horse would not eat or drink for the whole one hour" hold."
"Decided to get a recheck myself and vet checked heart rate to be 60. Horse
was dull and not himself so again I decided to pull him."

Hi Mike,
This isn't flaming, just curiosity, but had your horse worked at all before
you got him?  This sounds a lot of miles for a first season horse, even
physically mature.  The symptoms above look like just fatigue to me.
I've never used boosters of any sort, they aren't easily available here in
France but even so it wouldn't occur to me to use them on a ride under 90kms
(55kms).  I would say that in France most people regard rides of less than
90kms as not "serious" endurance so a properly conditioned horse should
achieve this distance without any "help".
Is there an argument for saying we can get too dependent on carbo-boosters &
so-on & that the basis of it all is just sensible specific conditioning &
feeding?
I've always understood that the horse's cardio-vascular system can be
prepared relatively quickly, in a matter of months, but that the rest,
particularly bones, takes longer.
Again, if this was my first-season horse I'd just assume he was showing some
signs of stress, but perhaps I under- estimate my horses' capabilities.
If this is perfectly normal prep & is what everyone else does then I'll hush
my mouth & go back to "lurking"
Heather
SW France