Fwd: RC: re: endurance bloodlines

In a message dated 12/24/99 8:40:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
greymare@jps.net writes:

<< .I bet you could pick just about any prominent stallion, =
 or mare lines and find
 successful endurance lines.  Perhaps certain bloodlines are "popular" =
 because those horses are the ones that happen to be compaigned by people =
 that have the time and money to compete seriously.  I hear how many
 Polish line horses do well... >>

Are you talking about prominent athletes or just prominent stallions in
general? this would put a considerably different slant in this since clearly
a prominent halter stallion most often does not have successful athletes in
his get, sometimes simply because they are not tried, but more often because
the conformation bred into halter champs simply is not suitable to athletic
efficiency. It would be the rare 'prominent stallion' in the show ring let
alone halter ring that we would look to in order to breed an athlete;
however, a tried and proven prominent athletic stallion whatever the lines,
if predictable in blood, would be a good choice.
san

---- Begin included message ----
I honestly have to wonder how much emphasis you can put on =
bloodlines.....I bet you could pick just about any prominent stallion, =
or mare lines and find
successful endurance lines.  Perhaps certain bloodlines are "popular" =
because those horses are the ones that happen to be compaigned by people =
that have the time and money to compete seriously.  I hear how many
Polish line horses do well......Egyptian...........Russian now.....Al =
Marah lines.....someone mentioned that HCC used CMK foundation mares, =
but they also had many horses that traced to Witez II........and the =
farther back you go, the more times it is likely it crops up in the =
pedigree.  Seems to me that there are just too many variables to =
building a good endurance horse. =20

You would think conformation would be essential, but then again, you see =
horses at Tevis that have awful conformation, and horses that travel =
oddly.
Seems it's desire to go (heart), conformatin, conditioning, nutrition, a =
ton of luck, and the time, money and determination of the owner.  And =
many, many other factors.  Seems buying a young prospect based on =
bloodlines is a crap shoot. =20

Of course, that is exactly what I did when I bought a weanling with =
Witez II
bloodlines which I like, and a COLOR that I liked!! I just don't take =
much of it seriously, then again, I am NOT a serious endurance =
competifor!

Karen  (all horses seem to share Witez II or Bask or Raffon), Naborr and
Khemosabi.  What do they have in common?  I like them all.

---- End included message ----