Re: Endurance Bloodlines

Hi Celeste,
I'm glad your back on-line because I wanted to make contact with you after
seeing you were posting from SA. My parents lived in SA for 12 years
(Johannesburg) finally leaving in 1986 when my Father retired.  They still
have lots of friends in SA.
We have an endurance magazine in France called "Endurance News" which is
relatively new but a good magazine.  In their recent report on the Europeans
Champs in Spain there was a reference to SA.  They said basically that it
was good to see South African riders & that SA had obviously now got a taste
for endurance.  This is an approximate translation.
I would like to write to the mag because they give the impression that South
Africans are new to endurance whereas I know that the sport has existed for
a while with you.  Could you give me some brief facts?  For example: when
did it start?  How many major rides?  What distance?  Approx. how many
riders in SA?  You know the usual stuff.  Then I can gently correct this
false impression that South Africans are new to endurance!
Your info about blood-lines in SA was interesting.  In France the main
Egyptian lines in endurance are Nazeer & Tuhotmos.  The biggest progenitor
of endurance horses in France is a Russian stallion called Persik.  I say
Russian but in fact its "old" Russian so there is French (Kann), Crabbet
(Naseem) & Polish (Arax & Skowronek).  We also have some successful Polish,
Crabbet & Spanish lines.
Here at home we have predominantly Polish (mainly purchased in Poland), plus
Crabbet (I love 'em to bits!), a Russian mare, & some Egyptian.  For the
moment no particular lines are showing but our program is young.  We stand a
Polish stallion & a largely Crabbet stallion who is by Ralvon Elijah.  Both
are proven endurance horses.
Anyway I won't rattle on.  Look forward to hearing from you.
Heather
Aquitaine Arabians
SW France