Re: Tendon Strain Tear Tx

In a message dated 12/23/99 4:35:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
milamj@agtelco.com writes:

<< My 8 yo has done some injury to his superficial flexor on his R-rear
 fetlock.

 I thought I read a year or more ago in either Equus or Practical
 Horseman about a new injectable solution that was better than Adequan at
 jump starting the healing process. They had a website that I went to at
 the time also, but it was primarily info for the vets.

 They also had an ointment that was a topical treatment as well.

 If anyone knows the name of the stuff, I'd sure appreciate the
 name-drop.  >>

I think what you're talking about is Bapten--which actually delays healing in
the early stages so as to prevent scar tissue and adhesions. It's been on and
off the market a couple of times and is probably coming back on soon.

However, it's not the best solution for tendons. Muscle stimulation is.

Now, it sounds as though you don't have a complete diagnosis yet. The
superficial flexor tendon seldom get hurt 'on" the fetlock. You cound be
dealing with several things there, the superficial, the deep, the suspensory,
the annular ligament, and sessamoids. So, have you done an ultrasound?

If so, and if you know you have a superficial flexopr tendon to deal with, or
a deep, or a suspensory, then the solution other than icing is to use a
muscle stimulator way up on the semitendinosus muscle above the hock, at the
back of the leg (the big heart-shaped muscle that wraps around the butt),
causing it to contract every second, for four hours a day. This "talks" to
the whole suspensory apparatuse, deep, superficial and suspensory,
encouraging them to repair quickly and properly, new fibers coming in in-line
to the stress vectors, without forming adhesions. Meanwhile, that low, you
haver to keep the annular ligament (wraps around the ankle)quiet with ice or
it will squeeze the circulation out of the organs inside it.

ti

ti