Re: working heartrates and recoveries

>But lots of people responded that
> they have horses doing distance with that breeding.  >

Hi Louse,
I knew my comment would bring those Ansata fans out from under their
stones!!  Seriously, no criticism intended its just that if I went looking
for an Arabian specifically for endurance I probably wouldn't look at these
blood-lines.
One of the big advantages you have in the States is that there is such a
massive Arabian pool of potential endurance horses.
Here in France there are one or two lines that are starting to show up in
the statistics but its a long slow business.
In our breeding program we are just starting to do what I feel is the
"interesting" breeding, ie we are crossing our own proven endurance mares
with our own proven endurance stallions.  However endurance is so special in
its demands on a horse that even this is no guarantee of success.  If the
"mind-set" isn't right then it doesn't matter if the pedigree is set in
gold, it ain't gonna work.

Good for you putting an older horse to work & if you like him & he likes his
job then go for it!

In Europe the egyptian blood-lines have produced a couple of stallions who
have grand-get who go well in endurance, Hadban Enzahi from the Marbach
state stud in Germany for one.  There is a discussion currently open on the
Australian list on just this subject regarding Mustafa (dec.)  who is a
Nazeer son & who has get & grand-get who are doing well in endurance out
there.

My crib on egyptian blood-lines in Europe is their limbs, some of them have
some awful limb faults, but then I often see horses competing at top level
in endurance France with the most awful legs.  Sometimes makes me wonder why
I bother trying to breed foals with straight legs!

Thats life.

Good luck!
Heather Hamper
Aquitaine Arabians