Re: Working HR's & recoveries

<There really may not be a problem.  I've always been told to avoid the 200bpm range, especially on a youngster.  The 30 beat difference during most of the conditioning ride may be no big deal, though, after several months of conditioning, I couldn't figure out why the gap didn't narrow.  It could be they are just at opposite ends of normal.  I can condition him easily, hills, extension, whatever and never get near 200.  When I condition on hills, even moderate hills, she goes over 200 and stays there to the top.  However, even when I take her on a 3 mile hill with a good grade, she's at 210bpm the whole way, she recovered to 60 in 3 1/2 minutes.  The gelding does the same hill and never breaks above 170.  I do have a stethascope and have verified the resting rates on occassion.  It could be that I need to stop fixating on that 200bpm number.>

Hi again Cathy,
OK your latest message has clarified things a bit for me.  I think why people have suggested you keep out of the 200bpm range is because to get within this range generally means some sort of interval training, which isn't really appropriate at this stage in your mare's development.
If she goes into this range after no real effort then possibly you have a problem insofar as she is technically working anaerobically with the attendant lactic acid accumulation problems.
What does your own vet think?  Is it worth doing an electrocardiogram to check that there are no abnormalities there?
I still think its not a good idea to compare hr's between horses, I've seen such variation with my own horses, even 2 horses with the same level of experience & working towards the same goal.
If the hrm is working correctly & you say you've verified with a stethoscope, then it would surely indicate some sort of stress, generated by what is another question.
Taking blood after a conditioning ride might be a useful exercise to see what the effort provokes in the way of muscle enzymes, etc.
Does she show ANY kind of stress at all at rides or at home?
If she is hurting somewhere but is a generous mare & wants to please it may just be her way of saying "help".
Good luck
Heather