Re: RC: Working heart rates and recoveries

In a message dated 12/22/99 9:39:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< condition with a heart rate monitor.  During conditioning rides, I noticed
that the mare consistently runs 30 beats hig=
 her than the gelding while at work.  Her resting heart rate is actually
lower than his, 28 vs 30.  During warm up, her he=
 art rate remains lower than his.  But the second I start to really work, she
is consistently 30 beats higher than him.  I=
 t is nearly impossible to get him over 200 when he is in condition.  She on
the other hand goes over 200 easily.  Both ho=
 rses will recover to 70 during a conditioning ride in 2 minutes or less.>

Given the recovery parameters, I would guess that you're seeing some artifact
in the HR readings at speed. This may be an emotional artifact or it can have
to do with the way your monitor is ppicking up the electical signals from the
heart.

> They are both on the same conditioning scheadule of about 200 miles in a
two week period, flat work and some good hills. =
  Both have lots of energy before, during and after.

 I was so worried about her that I decided to do two 30's instead of 50's for
her first rides.  She competed well, recover=
 ed well and actually got better vet scores than he did during his 50's.  I
rode to finish in the back 1/3 of the pack and=
  did so.  Her heart rate went up to 210 a couple of times, but she recovered
well.>

A couple of things to throw in here. Horses with better cardiovascular
ability can rev higher and still not "feel" it. that is, their VO2 max occurs
at a higher heartrate than other horses. If the filly is thinner than the
colt, there may be some artifact sneaking in with the heartrate monitor
picking up some back beats. If she is fitter than the colt, then, at modest
rates of speed, her heartrte should be lower that his at the same speed. To
get an Efficiency Score, in feet per beat, take them out separately, get in a
good spleen dumping warmup (HR will rise, then, after about 2-3 miles, settle
down to an honest working HR (say 140). then take the average heartrate over
a measured distance and clock the distance--sy, 1/8th of a mile. The formula:
Distance (in feet, in this case 660) divided by time (say 22 seconds) divided
by heartrate (140, times 60 (seconds) give an answer in feet traveled per
heartbeat. In this case, about 12 feet per heartbeat--exceptional at a trot.
^.5 Ft/bt would be unfit at the trot. At the gallop an extra 2+ ft per can be
accomplished by the same horse.
]
This will give you a quick appreciation of the relative fitness/efficiency of
the two horses.

> She will go into a trot and "zone" at a ride.  He is Mr. Curious, looking
around, canter, trot, having fun and very compe=
 titive. From attitude, you would think his heart rate would be the higher
one.

 I discussed this with two ride vets.  Both felt there was some cause for
concern about the mare but told me that since sh=
 e recovered well, to just go for it and ride her, but watch her.  The one
vet theorized that her heart was smaller and le=
 ss efficient, but if that were so, why is her resting heart rate lower than
his? >

I think she is fitter.

> Oh, their blood chemistry was almost identical.  He is an Alpha horse, she
separates herself from the herd by about 30 fe=
 et.  So, should I worry about her?  What do I watch for? The one vet joked
that if I didn't have a heart rate monitor, I =
 wouldn't even know there was a problem, so just ride.  Well, I do have a hrm
and do know that there might be a problem an=
 d I am worried about her.  The thing is, I think she is going to make a heck
of a nice endurance horse.>

I wouldn't be concerned at all, but i would get some more conclusive
measrements. It's easy enough these days to actually measure heart size and
contractile fraction. via ultrasound. We can do it for you at Windy Ridge in
Washougal, WA--can also do an Efficiency Score on the treadmill.

 >Cathy Pritchett (Danguna@transport.com)
 Central Oregon

ti