Crewless (was Cavalry Riding)

Kenzie,

Having a pit crew is a luxury for me (& how nice it is when I have one!), so
the key to riding crewless is organization.  First thing is to check out
where the pit stops are.  Some rides have all the pit stops back at base
camp, so that's a good one to try (you'll have to check with your SE riders
on rides in your area, or check with the ride manager --- sometimes the
routes are changed yr to yr).  Some rides may have the pit stop just a mile
or 2 from camp (like Ft Valley & No Frills) so that's doable -- have to
unhitch the trailer to bring stuff out to pit stop the night before.
When you pack up, have all the stuff for your overnight camping area ---
water, hay, blankets, grain, rider food, clothing.  Then have all the stuff
you'll need for the pit stop packed separately in waterproof containers, as
well as extra water buckets and water.  I have a rubbermaid tub that has
rumprug, extra set of reins, extra easy boot, extra metal shoes, dry
electrolytes & syringe, blanket scraps for throwing over rump, full
lighweight blanket, stethescope, extra stirrup leather, and small to medium
towels and sponges.  My friend also has extra saddle pad in her box.  If it
looks like it will be rainy or cold, I may throw in some extra socks and
gloves in the box. I should add an extra girth to the box (to do for next
yr!)  I have several 5 gallon buckets with lids that I put out the night
before (leave the lid on loosely--- will keep other horses from drinking your
water).  I also have 2 5 gallon plastic gas containers for water (that have
never had gas in them) to refill buckets or to refill my ice chests.  I have
about a 3 gallon bucket with lid with grain (again, leave the lid on loosely
so your grain doesn't get eaten by others).  I've added a lightweight grain
bucket as a luxury this yr as the horse slobbers so much water into the grain
that the grain bucket gets pretty mushy by the end of the ride --- I throw
some grain into the grain feeder as soon as I get in.  Also a bag of carrots
as some carrots are good to entice the horse to eat.  A plastic garbage bag
with hay (in case it rains --- hay won't get so wet the horse won't eat it
--- my horse goes right into the plastic bag for the hay) & again the plastic
bag helps to prevent the hay from getting pilfered.  I have 2-3 small coolers
that I fill with ice & water the night before if it's going to be a hot ride.
 The small coolers are easy to move around the horse to cool him off as he's
gobbling down food & water.  I prepare syringes of electrolytes before going
to the ride.  I carry one in a plastic ziplock bag (in case the plunger comes
off & all that gunk comes out, at least it's in the plastic & doesn't get all
over the inside of my pommel pack).  I leave as many syringes plus one as I
think I'll need with my pit crew stuff.  A lawn chair is nice if the
rubbermaid boxes are too light to sit on.  I bring SlimFast drinks (throw
into the coolers) & SlimFast bars to eat as they fill me up & are easy to get
down, maybe throw some apples in the horse box as I can get those down &
horse likes them.  Don't forget food for yourself.  I can carry enough
gatorade in my camelback to last a whole ride.  My friend uses bottles, so
she puts some gatorade bottles in her ice chest to refill bottles.
When I started out I made lists of stuff I needed for the rides.  Now it's
sort of routine, so I don't use them, but it was helpful at first.
I carry an extra sponge on a string, all ready to hook up if the one on the
saddle rips off.  An easyboot, one syringe of electrolytes in ziplog bag, a
variety of snaps and clips for quick repairs, cheap plastic rain poncho that
scrunches up real small   This is in a pommel pack.  In a waistback I have
map, if given out by ride managmnt (in ziplock bag), rider card (in ziplock
bag), gum, tissues (in bag --- for emergency calls of nature), chapstick,
hoofpick, shoestring for emergency repairs, small jackknife, whistle (got
that at a ride --- in case you fall off the horse to help rescuers find you).
 I use a camelback, so I don't carry any water bottles.  You want some means
of carrying water for you --- I used to throw some small ones in the pommel
pack.  I had a pommel pack with bottle holders on either end --- the bottles
liked to pop out, and it put a lot of stress on the fastners which
periodically ripped out -- so check them frequently for wear if you use this
setup.  Some riders have bottle holders in their waistpacks --- my friend
uses this & she doesn't lose her bottles.
You want to get to camp early enough to get set up, check in and vet in, and
get your pit stop set up.  I also bring my kids little red wagon for hauling
stuff around in to get setup.
If it's going to be cold and rainy, or threatens rain, you may want to tie a
rumprug on the back of the saddle.
This is just the stuff for the pit stop.  You'll need other stuff at your
campsite --- learned the hardway to always have waterproof blankets and
clothing --- even if forecast is for sun!!

Good luck,
Nancy
Md