Give it a chance.

In the beginning, endurance rides had staggered starts.  You drew numbers out
of a hat for your starting time.  You were sent out in groups of five or ten
at two minute intervals. Under this system, you never knew where you stood in
relation to the other riders because you had no way of knowing if the rider
ahead of you started from 2  to up to 30 minutes (depending on the number of
entries)  behind you or or 2 to 30 minutes ahead of you.  If he started ahead
of you, you could win without ever having to pass him.  You could even cross
the finish line up to 30 minutes behind him. and win.  But if you started
ahead of him, you had to not only pass, but then pull ahead by 2 to 30
minutes.
Well, people moaned and groaned around in great style because they all wanted
to start in the last group for obvious reasons. So somebody came up with the
bright idea that we should all start at the same time. I think the Castle
Rock Ride was the first to try it, but am not positive.   Well, what  a
donnybrook that was.  People said we were going to kill horses and riders,
there would be two-legged and four-legged bodies flying off cliffs, the field
would be littered with trampled casulaties.   it was sort of visualized as
the Oklahoma Land Rush and a buffalo stampede all rolled into  one grand
disaster.  Some people even boycotted the ride.

Well, guess what,  It worked. I don't know of any ride that does not use the
so called stampede start now.  Which is a round-about way of saying,  let's
try a $5 donation/entry fee/tax, whatever you want to call it, for the Trade
Show. and see if it works.  Who knows, it might attract more people who
figure if it has a price on it, it must be good.  If we determine that it
hurt attendance, I have all the faith in the world that our B of D in their
infinite wisdom will reverse the policy next year.   I honestly believe that
a successful AERC is their top priority
 Julie Suhr