RE: RE: Trade Show Donation?

Debi:

I understand your concern but can counter with my own past experience. I was
in charge of convention/symposium exhibits for a company I once worked with.
I never attended a trade show that admitted the "public" for free. In fact
many of them did not admit the public at all!

Then there is another  way to look at the subject. The AERC is holding an
Annual Meeting, the Convention is supplemental to the Annual Meeting. The
Trade Show is supplemental to the Convention. THE MOST IMPORTANT IS THE
ANNUAL MEETING! Then the Convention. Then the Trade Show.

If the Trade Show can be used as a funding operation it is to the advantage
of the membership. The Annual Meeting and the Convention are not income
producers.

I was also, in the past, part of an Equine Expo in our region. I have heard
the same complaints we are getting about the AERC Trade show. The
complainers were parties that were not marketers and they did not return in
subsequent years. In fact most did not continue their business. The true
marketing people, those that cared about their business, used the
opportunity as they knew that the attendees that paid were there in earnest,
not just "tire kickers". They SOLD to the attendees! They did not just stand
around their booths hoping for a sale.

So, you can see that there are two sides. The Board of Directors are at the
meetings, not for fun. They go there to work in you, and the rest of the
members, interest. It costs to be a Director, it is paid with insults and
bitching. Try it some time.