Re: RC: Trade Show Donation?

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:00:59 EST, BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

>I'm beginning to feel this discussion is assuming excessive proportions.  It
>seems to me that if the AERC office is organizing the convention, it is
>within their realm of jurisdiction to charge whatever fees are deemed
>appropriate.  Do we all have input into the decision of what theaters may
>charge to see a movie, or how about concerts, ballet, circuses, etc. etc.?

No, but then we don't own the theater.  We are members of the AERC; it
is supposed to be our organization, working on our behalf.

>There are great expenses in producing the convention and it is also one of
>AERC's best ways to raise the necessary funds to conduct its business.  I
>think some members believe that AERC is out to gouge all members, but if you
>could see the expenses of running the office and giving the members the
>services they want and need, you might be a bit more understanding.  I know
>AERC is not alone in proposing a charge to attend a trade show, and $5 is not
>extortionate.

By itself, five bucks isn't much for most of us.  But this is the
argument we hear all the time with every new AERC charge:  "If you can
afford to go to rides (or if you can afford a horse) this fee is small
in comparison."  And the fees multiply and we get "nickled and dimed
to death."

Another thing I find onerous is the use of euphemisms.  For example,
calling the non-member fee a "discount" or a "bookkeeping fee."  In
this case, calling a required charge a "donation."

I for one believe the AERC would serve us, the members, far better if
it set its two basic fees according to the true cost of providing
services:  the membership dues and the ride sanction fees.  Then,
avoid a multiplicity of additional fees every time we turn around.

>If some of you feel that it is excessive, then you have a
>perfect right to decide not to attend, but it would be a pity.  The
>convention is a pretty special event, even for the ambience alone.

That is true.

--
Joe Long
jlong@mti.net