Re: RC: body fat and performance

In a message dated 12/17/99 7:32:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, lb@nismat.org
writes:

<< The observation that thin horses do not do as well as fatter horses
 is interesting, but I wonder if the thinner horses had not been fed
 as well coming into the event, or were just not good eaters in
 general, and thus entered the event in a more depleted state. Is it
 possible that some of these horses were just overtrained or
 overraced?  >>

I do think this is a big factor, Beth.  And there are several subfactors
involved.  One, the genetic selection of horses that are more efficient with
their groceries.  Two, the genetic selection of horses that don't fritter
their groceries away with nervous energy.  Three, achieving fitness by
exercise instead of dieting.  Four, overtraining is a biggie, as it involves
more than just nutrition--it also fouls up the whole
sympathic/parasympathetic nervous system and various hormonal axes to the
point that the athlete can no longer accurately regulate many life functions.

There is an "optimal" amount of fat for distance competition in my field
observations--one does not want an obese horse, obviously, because it IS
extra pounds to carry, interferes with thermoregulation, etc.  However, when
the thin layer of fat under the skin has gone, the horse also tends to be
less able to manage hydration levels, etc.  There are more things that can go
wrong than just hypoglycemia--and that failure to look at the whole horse is
the main thing that bothers me when people make sweeping comments about
things like "treating" tied-up horses with carbs.  Overall body health (which
as I mentioned includes at least SOME fat) plays a role in being able to
handle water regulation, electrolyte regulation, therrmoregulation, and a
whole host of other things necessary to stay healthy while performing at
one's best.  Every time we focus in on one thing, we have to keep in the
backs of our minds where all the rest of these functions are going.

Heidi