Re: RC: Tying up

In a message dated 12/17/99 4:37:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Lyoness@Castlenet.com writes:

<<  Don't I
 remember reading several articles about a year ago on the likelihood
 that Tying Up was genetically based rather than chemically based? >>

While the precise genetic verdict is not in on this, yes, it appears that
SOME cases of tying up are genetically based.  This is not a black-and-white
issue, as there are many factors involved in the different cases.  But--in
general, those horses that are genetically prone are going to be much more
difficult to manage by nutrition.  Even horses NOT genetically prone to tying
up, though, can do it under extreme circumstances--severe selenium
deficiency, extreme mismanagement of nutrition, extreme overuse--and in many
it would take a combination of the above to tip them over the edge.  Those
not prone are also more apt to have some other metabolic problem occur in an
extreme overuse situation before they get to the point of tying up.

 <<Will the CarboCharge override a genetic predisposition? >>

In extreme cases, I doubt it.  What carbs WILL do is address those cases
where the primary cause of the tie-up is hypoglycemia.  But since there are
so many factors and causes to tying up, I find it scary to hear a suggestion
to treat every horse with the syndrome willy nilly with carbs, without first
doing some diagnostic work to see if this is really what is going on in that
given individual.  And quite frankly, I think just giving carbs at the
critical points in competition is a bit like putting a bandage on a skinned
knee--I think it behooves the rider to analyze his entire feeding and riding
program to see if there are ways to support the blood glucose better.  IF one
is doing all of that, THEN the carb supplementation (done with a good
understanding of how it works--as others have pointed out, wrong timing can
get you into big trouble too) may give your horse a boost.

Heidi