trailer safety

Teresa Van Hove tvanhove@uswest.net
One safety tip I try to do is not tie the safety brake cable
chains, etc all to the hitch piece.   I have a tag-along
trailer with a receiver hitch.  The receiver piece that is
bolted to the truck frame has D's for the chains so if my
slide in hitch piece did ever break the chains should still
be solid.  THe other thing is be extremely careful when
someone helps you hitch up.  I almost pulled out once with
nothing locked in place after a fellow camper helped get
my hitch to drop over my ball - I had assumed they had taken
care of everything while they were at it -NOT.  My mom's
jumping instructor just lost a horse she was pulling for a
student owner. Students mom had helped hitch up and forgot to do
something (fuzzy details but didn't get the little lock pin
in the bolt for the hitch piece or something) and
the trailer came loose, passed the pickup and tipped over and
the horse had to be put down.

So take care when towing precious cargo,

Teresa Van Hove

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-