Tortoise vrs hare, ie: carbo vrs fat!

Darn. I wasn't going to get caught up in this. But I am responding only to
your jibes that
need clarification for the general public. Re: your sneers at my
motives/etc I think the
ridecampers can sort out for themselves if they think I'm totally averse to
your supplement
or if my interests are only in "losers" by reading my initial post.

>> Tom openly has admitted that the high
>> glucose/insulin regimen he promotes will inhibit fat utilization but this
>> is mainly because insulin inhibits lipolysis, not that it blocks the krebs
>> cycle.
>
>ti: It inhibits muscle uptake of fats.

Tom still hasn't learned the difference between lipids and volatile fatty
acids (acetate, butyrate and especially propionate, from which the horse
can derive over 50% of its glucose if adapted to a fiber ration). Beth,
correct me if I am wrong regarding human nutrient utilization, but I do not
recall propionate or butyrate being major energy sources for humans,
though, of course, acetate can be shunted through the citric acid cycle.

>>>In a long HARD (read lots of climbs and caution needed on the trail)
>> ride like the Tevis, one of the reasons Susan's work on body condition
>> showed that horses carrying a bit more weight (body fat) did better than
thin horses....>

>>TI: who says it was body fat? Very unlikely. More likely, extra muscle
glycogen
>>stores.

The original work on condition scoring, in which they actually killed the
horses and accurately determined body fat % (lovely research-but it did
provide some useful info), showed a significant correlation with the
numerical score and % body fat not glycogen.

>>Carbo loading during a ride may work
>> for the elite endurance race horses, but if used improperly and/or by
>> inexperienced riders, could end up in more "boinks". >
>>
>ti:Name a single instance.
>
>Your own story of the guy who "misused" your supplement.

Sarah L. Ralston, VMD, PhD, dACVN
Associate Professor
Department of Animal Science
Cook College, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
84 Lipman Drive
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Ralston@aesop.rutgers.edu
732-932-9404