euthanasia

About 10 years ago, our 17 year old Quarter horse experienced a bout of
colic that paid meds, tube oiling, etc. could not abate.  Vet thought he
probably had an obstruction in the small intestine that would require
surgery.  By the time he made this determination (the second day of
grueling, painful colic), the horse was quite weak.  Coupled with the facts
that I didn't have a couple thousand dollars cash for surgery and that the
trip to UC Davis would have taken 2 hours over winding mountain roads, I
elected to put this horse down.  The vet agreed and told me that euthanasia
was the best thing about being a vet (and not a people doctor),  that he
could give this gift to his patients.  I think the whole thing cost me about
$250.00 plus an additional $100.00 (?) to have the renderer come out and
take him away afterward.  I guess I could have had the local gun freak shoot
him and just dig a hole, but yuck and besides that, it's illegal.  Death by
injection was INSTANT and I wish somebody would do that for me if I ever get
to that point.   Yes please and thank you, Dr. Kervorkian.