Re: saddles/ Crosby Prix des Nations

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani wrote:

> With all the discussion of saddles, I've been wanting to bring this up but a
> bit shy.  We have maybe three people who import saddles here in Egypt and
> most of their interest is in dressage or jumping. If you buy a saddle,
> unless you order it from outside and carry it in, you get what is there and
> NO WAY to try it out.  My first saddle was a used (20 yr old) Stubben
> all-purpose/jumping and then later my husband brought a Stubben
> all-purpose/dressage from Germany.  No way to try the saddles on the horses,
> we just hoped they wouldn't do too much damage, and having two pretty
> average size mares (for Arabs) they were ok.  Later, I had a chance to try a
> friend's Crosby Prix des Nations, as far as I can see about as far as you
> can go in the no-saddle saddle route, and fell in love.  Since then, that
> has been what I ride Dorika with for about the past 4 years.  We've gone as
> long as 35-40 km with it with no ill effects.  It fits her well (no dry
> spots) and I use a foam pad (some French thing that is almost impossible to
> find but seems to meet with the horses' approval).  I'm sure that my Crosby
> isn't at all the usual saddle for distance riding, but is there a problem
> with it?  I'm not exactly a lightweight and I've figured that with the
> Crosby weighing in at one half or one quarter the weight of the Stubbens it might be better, not to mention that both Dory and I seem to like the feeling of being almost naked (in a saddle sort of way).
>
> I'd be really interested in comments.

Maryanne,

When I first started distance riding I was using a Crosby Equilibrium. I
loved it and it seemed to fit my horse well. He is kinda sensitive
anywhere..he's a grey..never did well on back vet checks.:)

Anyway, after I did my first 25...then 30...then 35 miler and noted my
crotch was a little sore:~ Also the amount of back surface area the
saddle covers on the horse's back is so much different. If you compare
the small area covered by our Crosby's to how much more back area is
covered by a distance saddle, it's easy to see how the distance saddle
would be easier on the back. After pounding on that small surface area
over miles and miles vs. pounding over a much larger area... There's a
much better chance to do less damage even if you are the worst rider
around.

I decided to try a distance saddle out. I was riding in the SE region
out of Florida and had the privelege to order a saddle from Marilyn
Horstmeyer. The saddle is measured to fit the horse and she can do it
using a kit through the mail.

I love the saddle and the horses do too. Fortunately, both my guys wear
the saddle well and I can use it on both of them.

If you want information ask. I can give you Marilyn's phone number if
you're interested.

Happy Tails,

Susan