Re: Brain Training?(long)

Dear Cindy,
    This is EXACTLY (and I do mean exactly!!!)  how my horse David acts!
(Gee, his breeders never told me he had a twin . . .)  I too have been
following the race brain training posts with keen interest, but haven't had
the chance to ride since they have been posted.  Your post here gives me great
hope we may have found something which will provide that "breakthrough" I've
been searching for.  Thanks for the update; you've made my morning.  Now I
can't wait to ride and try some of this, and the earliest I'll have a chance
is probably Tuesday! :(
    Thanks to all who shared their wisdom regarding this problem, and to those
who forwarded to me the posts on this subject which I originally missed.

Trish & pretty David,
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<<
 I think this is what the post was called, can't remember who it was that
 suggested the circling bit, but I am eternelly grateful
 I don't know if others are like me , but sometimes I know things but
 don't think of them until someone states the obvious!!(We have tried
 this while schooling in the menage, but not on the trail)
 My mare(the one that pulled the neck muscle) is now sound again and I
 started training again Monday,but after 2 weeks off she is a maniac
 again!! We get a nice active walk going out, but as soon as we turn for
 home we cannot walk-jog on the spot or break into a trot This
 necessitates 2 paces of walk , trot, half halts until we walk, 2 paces
 of walk...... you get the idea!! Trotting is worse.. we start out a nice
 pace , on the bit and rounded and as soon as I relax into it we start
 going faster and faster, half halts,voice commands and we slow down
 again, little further on we start speeding up again..... Needless to say
 this is absolutely exhausting and irritating. We CANNOT canter as that
 is just an excuse to hop on the spot , go flatout or throw a temper
 tantrum!!. She is very light on the bit when relaxed but can really set
 herself when fighting and the only control method so far is half halts
 on right rein(left is dead!!!). Yesterday I had a brainstorm and
 remembered the posts and thought loose rein walk , and circles-lets try.
 I took 5 kms of circling every time she decided to trot on her own -
 eventually I was dizzy. Eventually she was walking towards home on a
 loose(I mean loopy loose) rein. When asked to trot she did so and when
 asked to walk she immediately dropped to a walk and kept that pace.! A
 miracle!!!!!
 We are aiming on doing the walk bit for another few days and then
 graduating to trying it at the trot, and maybe when I am brave enough,
 the canter.

 Thanks , everyone, and specifically the original poster - it's working.

 Regards,
 Cindy Budler >>